Monday, July 23, 2012

IRENA Renewable Readiness Assessment

I am posting this 'on the fly' before heading out to the second day of meetings with the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). They are here conducting a consultation with local experts and key stakeholders (as I do not consider myself an energy expert!) to develop a renewable readiness assessment for Grenada. A local consultant has been hired to do the job, and between his effort and the representatives of IRENA that have travelled to Grenada for this consultation, I must report that I'm not only impressed by their work - I am delighted that such an important fledgling organization is getting off to such a great start!

Here's why:

Anyone that has worked in development or government or civil society can tell you that since "stakeholder consultation" became the popular thing to do, it wouldn't be hard to spend an entire career in meetings! Most of the time the results are limited to generating a report that ends up in a filing cabinet, or in some cases it will actually inform policy development (but that's rare).

The IRENA consultations are different however - they have already captured 'Action Items' that if acted upon will yeild measurable, immediate, tangible, and greatly needed results. I don't want to steal IRENA's thunder by publishing what we've come up with so far, but I am 100% certain that when the Renewable Readiness Assessment is released - it will be worth reading.

The project I am developing for the GHTA has already been reshaped by the collective wisdom of the people in the room - and a moment of inspiration on behalf of the Non-State Actors panel has also been chewed on by participants and may well become a project I can develop for them.

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, was just going through the google looking for good info and stumbled across your website. I am stunned at the design that you've on this site. It shows how you appreciate this subject.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and discussion among readers! However, all comments are moderated to ensure the board is not used for spam.